Deadline Date: 2021/10/15
Location: Heron Bay
Job Reference Number: 2021-SS-I/E-CONTRACT-010
Maternity Leave Replacement
Contract ending November 2022
- Posting Date:
- Heron Bay
- Start Date:
- Number of positions:
- Days of work:
Implementation of existing Addictions Counsellor Strategic Plan and developing a work plan and individual specific training plan
• Organize and implement community workshops and groups dealing with substance use issues
• Plan, organize & implement education programs for the elementary and secondary school students
• Takes an active role in targeted prevention of high-risk groups, does assessments for early identification and implements intervention approaches
• Complete intake, screening, assessments – utilizing provincially mandated assessment tools, as well as the Native Wellness Assessment
• risk assessment and pre-treatment
• deliver community-based treatment programs, Counseling
• refer to treatment as required, as well as discharge planning and relapse support
• Create and implement an intensive aftercare program
• Implement land based, cultural and language practices into all programs and services
• Crisis intervention and Client advocacy as required
• Case Management
• Maintain confidential client records
• Take the lead on new initiatives and keep team informed on new developments in the area of addictions.
Honours Bachelor of Social Work from an accredited university or College Diploma in Human Services – ie Social Service Worker, Addiction Counselling, Native Child and Family Counsellor Plus minimum 2 years’ experience working in the addictions field.
• Registration with the College of Social Workers or other regulatory body
• Specialized training in crisis intervention, problem gambling, substance use
• Strong Ojibway Cultural Teachings - must be well versed in sharing teachings and stories.
• Possess ability and creativity to explore new methods and ideas to help people struggling with addictive behaviours.
• Computer literacy - able to learn new programs quickly and adapt to changing technology
• Experience & ability to administer & interpret provincially mandated alcohol, drug and gambling assessment tools
• Valid Ontario Driver’s license, current First Aid & CPR
• Must be self-directed, and demonstrate time management and organizational skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work effectively in a team setting and independently
As an active member of the community health team, the Addiction Counsellor will use the Honouring Our Strengths framework to provide programs and services to individuals and families affected by substance use and addiction issues.
The Addiction Counsellor will work as part of an integrated team to improve access and support for community members affected by substance use and addictions issues in a client-centered, culturally appropriate manner.
This position is a community-based initiative responsible for the administration of community development and collaboration with various health and social service workers to deliver prevention programs, targeted prevention, early identification and intervention.
- Closing Date/Apply by:
- How To Apply:
Please forward a cover letter, resume and three professional references:
Employer Contact Information
- Contact Name:
- Joni Michano
- Position Title:
- HR/Payroll Coordinator
- Company Name:
- Biigtigong Nishnaabeg
- Heron Bay
- Postal Code:
- Web Address: