Deadline Date: 2021/05/18
We are looking for an enthusiastic, qualified, self-motivated Intern to join our Building and Planning Department for a one (1) year term with a potential one-year extension contingent upon Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation (NOHFC) approval.
- Posting Date:
- 30 Van Horne Ave
- Start Date:
- $26.00 - $28.00 per hour,
- Number of positions:
- Days of work:
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
The Intern will assist and support the Chief Building Official with:
- Municipal land use planning and zoning, resource management planning and environmental studies/assessments. Reviews and processes documentation submitted regarding re-zoning, development, site plan control, minor variance and consent applications.
- Active involvement in The City of Dryden’s Official Plan amendment and Zoning By-law update will be a major part of this position. This involves reviewing municipal lands for correct zoning to facilitate investment readiness and growth as potentially affected by the Adaptive Phased Management Project of the Nuclear Waste Management Organization.
- Preparing planning related reports for presentation to Council and the public. Responding to Compliance zoning reviews for a variety of corporate processes including site plan, real estate inquiries and business licenses.
- Reviews and prepares comments on both variances and consent applications and represents the City at the Committee of Adjustment.
- Assisting the Building and Planning Department with administrative duties such as maintenance of files and databases and website updates as required. Provides frontline general planning and zoning information verbally and in writing via customer service at the planning counter.
- Training to be provided as necessary but at minimum provision of the Primer on Planning course and Ontario Association of Committees of Adjustment will be provided.
- University or College graduates who have graduated within the last three (3) years from an accredited college or university. Candidates must be graduates of post-secondary degree or diploma programs.
- The position must provide the intern with first-time employment in their field of study.
- Candidates are only eligible to participate in this internship program one-time.
- Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Diploma in planning technology or equivalent experience in municipal administration, urban, sustainable or environmental planning. New graduates with vested interest in Municipal planning encouraged.
- Proven ability to effectively interact with the public and other varied and key stakeholders.
- Strong organization, problem-solving and critical thinking and inquiry skills.
- Strong presentation skills and abilities.
- Familiarity with computer applications (e.g., word processing, spreadsheet, database and presentation applications). Knowledge of information tracking database software (GIS) would be an asset.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Ontario Planning Act, relevant Municipal By-Laws and all other pertinent legislation. General Understanding of the Ontario Building Code considered an asset.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Have and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Closing Date/Apply by:
- How To Apply:
Interested applicants are to submit a cover letter & resume outlining qualifications & experience to:
Human Resources Department
30 Van Horne Ave, Dryden, ON P8N 2A7
Employer Contact Information
- Contact Name:
- Jennifer Peekhaus
- Position Title:
- Manager of Human Resources
- Company Name:
- City of Dryden
- 30 Van Horne Ave
- Postal Code:
- P8N 2A7
- Web Address: