Deadline Date: 2021/09/22
Location: Thunder Bay
Has your career led to the development of expertise in highway maintenance and construction? Are you familiar with highway maintenance, construction and engineering? Why not take the next step and become part of our skilled and dynamic team?
The Ontario Public Service (OPS) is committed to being an employer of first choice, creating a positive and inclusive work environment.
- Posting Date:
- Thunder Bay
- 615 James St S
- Start Date:
- 36.25 hrs/wk
- $1,023.78 - $1,239.91 Per Week*
- Number of positions:
- Days of work:
- Trades, Transport, and Equipment
What can I expect to do in this role?In this role, you will:
• ensure compliance with contract specifications, direct maintenance and repair operations
• provide direction to contractors and operators, making sure the required work records are maintained
• liaise with contractors, property owners and the general public to address issues and complaints
• You may occasionally be required to work nights, weekends and statutory holidays.
How do I qualify?
• The position requires the successful candidate to have a valid 'G' licence or equivalent. The offer of employment is conditional upon the successful candidate providing proof that they have a valid driver's licence upon being hired.
Technical and legislative knowledge:
• You have proven experience and knowledge of highway maintenance, construction, and engineering standards, specifications, practices and principles to carry out contract related activities including contract preparation and review.
• You are knowledgeable about contract practices, including material sampling and testing, surveying, inspections, and road patrolling.
• You have the ability to interpret and apply related policies, acts, and regulations for safety, and environmental protection such as the Highway Traffic Act, Construction Lien Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Environmental Assessment Act, Transportation of Dangerous Goods Act, and Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System.
• You have analytical, negotiation and problem solving skills.
• You have mathematical skills to assist with the assessment of contract related issues.
• You have organizational and planning skills to effectively carry out assigned inspection and monitoring duties.
• You have the ability to interpret contract drawings and documents.
• You have the ability to monitor contractor's operations, assess contractors' and consultants' work for compliance.
Communication and interpersonal skills:
• You have communication and interpersonal skills to deal effectively with colleagues, regional counterparts, the public, consultants, contractors and other stakeholders.
• You are proficient using computers and common office productivity software to prepare correspondence, instruction notices, payment calculations, payment reports, contract payment assessments, and applicable reports and forms.
- Closing Date/Apply by:
- How To Apply:
How to apply:
- You must apply online. (Ontario Public Service Careers - Apply Online (gov.on.ca))
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources.
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
- OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
- If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
Employer Contact Information
- Contact Name:
- Madeleine Rondeau
- Position Title:
- Talent Assistant
- Company Name:
- Government of Ontario
- 315 Front St W
- Postal Code:
- M5V 3A4
- Web Address: