Deadline Date: 2021/09/30
Counsellor, Adult Service Program North of Superior Counselling Programs Temporary Full-time Schreiber, ON. (to July 29, 2022)
- Posting Date:
- Start Date:
- Number of positions:
- Days of work:
Working within a Recovery Framework, the Counsellor, Adult Service Program provides mental health and addiction counselling services for individuals and families living across the District of Thunder Bay. Services include assessment, counselling, treatment, education and case management. Services are delivered both one-on-one and through group facilitation and may occur in-person or virtually. The Counsellor, Adult Service Program reports directly the assigned Clinical Services Manager (CSM).
Job Duties and Responsibilities
• Working with individuals 18 years and older, who are living with mental health challenges, problematic substance use, problem gambling and/or concurrent disorders, duties include, but are not limited to:
o Providing comprehensive, person-centered assessment, counselling and discharge planning.
o Providing education, information, referral and case management support.
o Assessing and intervening when imminent risk has been identified.
o Supporting mental health assessments and actioning psychiatrist recommendations.
o Maintaining a client caseload consistent with expectations of the role.
o Engaging in ongoing assessment and evaluation of clients’ progress using standardized assessment tools and other evidence-based methodologiesDocumenting all client engagement, case management activities and client progress in the electronic client clinical record.
o Liaising with the most appropriate physician(s), community agencies and/or care providers, facilitating the removal of barriers to care and ensuring the wrapping around of services to best meet the holistic needs of the client.
• Maintaining confidentiality and working in a manner consistent with ethical guidelines of the Ontario College of Social Workers & Social Service Workers or applicable College.
• Participating in the clinical supervision and performance enhancement process.
• Developing personal goals for continued learning and engaging in ongoing development and self-evaluation.
• Assisting, precepting and providing support for colleagues, students and others to enhance and further develop clinical practice.
• Participate as an active and contributing member of the NOSP team.
• Participate in team and agency staff meetings, actively contributing to discussion, planning and problem solving.
• Participate in agency change initiatives, actively contributing input to support for success.
• Participate in research and program evaluation projects within the agency.
• Participate in and contribute to agency-wide activities and initiatives (e.g., committees, working groups, agency planning days, etc.).
• Familiarize self and work in alignment with agency policies and procedures, College Standards and governing legislation.
• Maintain up-to-date documentation within the agency’s electronic case management system, applying College Standards as they relate to clinical documentation.
Occupational Health and Safety
• Follow all policies and procedures to ensure personal safety and safety of others.
• Following the principles of the Internal Responsibility System (IRS), report any observed health and safety risks to the immediate manager or designate.
• Recovery focused and person- centered orientation
• Effective planning, organizational and time management skills
• Mindful and self-reflective
• Critical thinking skills
• Adaptable and flexible
• Excellent communication skills
• Sound decision-making skills
• Accountable and dependable
• Networking and relationship building skills
• Creative and innovative
• Ability to work both independently and within an interdisciplinary team
• Membership in a Regulated Profession consistent with a baccalaureate level of post-secondary education or greater; Social Worker (BSW/MSW with RSW); RN (CPMHN(C)); MA Counselling Psychology or equivalent (CRPO); in good standing.
• A preference of three (3) years’ experience in a mental health and/or addiction agency providing clinical interventions for individuals and families.
• Experience in the performance of evidence-based assessment, counselling and discharge planning.
• Experience in the delivery of one-on-one counselling supports and group facilitation.
• Knowledge of and experience with clinically sound documentation standards.
• Sound clinical acumen.
An understanding of the Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA) and the ability to effectively apply privacy practices within the rural living context.
• Working knowledge of the DSM V.
• Training in the delivery of the GAIN Q3 is considered an asset.
• Training in CBT, DBT or Mindfulness Practice is considered an asset.
• Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) is considered an asset.
• Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
• Clear understanding of scope of practice as it relates to the position and in keeping with the applicable Regulatory College and performance of duties within this scope.
• Advanced skills in oral and written communication.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
• A valid Ontario Driver's Licence is required. The use of a privately-owned vehicle and appropriate insurance coverage is required.
• Ability to travel across the District of Thunder Bay and/or out-of-District communities, as required.
• Ability to speak French is considered an asset.
• This position may require working flexible hours contingent upon client need.
Posting No. CA2021-r03 Posting Date: July 28, 2021 Position Title: Counsellor, Adult Service Program Position Status: Temporary Full-time (to July 29, 2022) Union Position: CUPE Rate of Pay: $51,004 - $67,198 Location: Schreiber/Terrace Bay
- Closing Date/Apply by:
- OPEN UNTIL FILLEd
- How To Apply:
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and current resume to the attention of Bobby Jo Smith, Executive Director, via email@example.com, referencing the Posting No. found at the top of this posting. This position will remain posted until filled.
***This is an equal opportunity position***
In order to ensure equal opportunity during the recruitment and selection process, NOSP provides accommodations for applicants with disabilities upon request.
Employer Contact Information
- Contact Name:
- Bobby Jo Smith
- Position Title:
- Executive Director
- Company Name:
- North of Superior Counselling Programs
- Postal Code:
- Web Address: