Deadline Date: 2021/05/13
Reporting to the Supervisor, Forestry, the Forestry Technologist, will participate as a member of the Public Works department performing tree assessments and inspections, data collection and analysis of the urban forest canopy. Major duties include the management and maintenance of tree data, reviewing pre-site application plans, planting plans, setbacks, easements and determining tree valuations.
- Posting Date:
- 216 Ontario Street
- Start Date:
- Number of positions:
- Days of work:
- The Forestry Technologist will coordinate Request for Proposals and oversee the tree planting and removal process, ensuring compliance with Tree By-Laws and the City’s Official Plan. This position will also support Public Works management and staff with the preparation of maps, data monitoring and responses to service requests related to of the urban forest.
Review and prepare planning documents, applications, and arboriculture reports
Develop and review operational management plans to manage the urban canopy
Review and respond to forestry related service requests from members of the public and council
Coordinate and responsible for drought protection and watering cycles, tree planting projects, tree inspections and analysis
Develop tree protection plans and policies
Responsible for the coordination of Request for Proposals and completing technical reviews for material specifications, tender forms, bids, etc.
Produce tender and supporting documentation that adheres to departmental, provincial, and federal standards
Oversee contracted services
Update and maintain the Public Works database for municipal assets, infrastructure inventory and geographically referenced tree data sets; identify opportunities to further capture assets for tracking program planning and eliminate inefficiencies; work with other City of Kingston departments to integrate data
Complete site plan reviews determining the validity and accuracy of a developer’s site plan regarding removal and planting of trees and provide planting plans in accordance with policies
Perform tree risk assessments, define risk and provide supporting documentation and updates in Cartograph
Coordinate and plan tree planting programs working within arboriculture principles and practices, consider existing infrastructure conflicts and minimum required utility setback clearance, property limits and other City capital projects
Provide guidance and instruction and assign work to internal staff and contractors and coordinate work with internal City departments to complete projects
Coordinate and participate in community initiatives
Liaise and partner with community groups such as the Cataraqui Region Conservation Authority
Participate in public engagement and education
Other duties as assigned
- Qualifications, Competencies
College diploma in Forestry, Urban Forestry, Environmental Studies or related field
4 years’ experience performing tree inspections (tree, pest and disease identification) and risk assessments as per TRAQ guidelines.
Experience must also include of writing, reviewing and interpreting arborist reports including calculating tree replacement values and tree appraisals for development site applications, by-law infractions and council inquiries, coordinating and planning tree planting projects of caliper sized trees within municipal right of ways and parks.
ISA Certified Arborist
ISA Tree Risk Assessor Qualification
Provincial Arborist Certification an asset
Skills, Abilities, Work Demands
Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks with changing priorities and present information in a clear and concise manner
Familiar with asset management concepts and procedures such as asset retirement, condition inspection, risk management, performance analysis and life cycle costing
Familiar with development of data models
Solid understanding of urban forest principal and practices
Knowledge of Cartagraph, ITree, Arc GIS, DASH, FMS and CRM
Knowledge and ability to perform risk assessment calculations, canopy assessments, and tree trunk formulas,
Excellent oral and written communication skills
Effective interpersonal skills
Ability to work outside and possibly in inclement weather conditions as required
Must possess and maintain a valid class “G” licence with a satisfactory driver’s abstract
Must be able to obtain and maintain a satisfactory criminal record check at own expense
- Opening Statement
Kingston’s vision of being a smart, livable 21st century city is fast becoming reality. History and innovation thrive in our dynamic city located along the beautiful shores of Lake Ontario, an easy drive from Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal, in the heart of eastern Ontario. With a stable and diversified economy that includes global corporations, innovative startups and all levels of government, Kingston’s high quality of life offers access to world-class education and research institutions, advanced healthcare facilities, affordable living and vibrant entertainment and tourism activities.
- Closing Date/Apply by:
- How To Apply:
- Please apply to Career Opportunities at: www.cityofkingston.ca/Careers.
- Your resumé must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements of the position. Please upload to your profile, any educational Degrees, Diplomas and/or Certificates that are relevant and required for the position you are applying to. We thank all of those who apply, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. The City of Kingston is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce reflecting the citizens we serve. We provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. You can request for accommodation related to the protected grounds at any stage of the City''s hiring process, i.e., application, assessment and placement. If you are an individual with a disability and you need accommodation in applying for this position, please email us at HRCity@cityofkingston.ca, quoting the Job Number and the Job Title. If you are invited to participate in the assessment process, we ask that you provide your accommodation needs in advance at that time. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you. Information collected will be handled in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Employer Contact Information
- Contact Name:
- Kathleen Lewis
- Position Title:
- HR & Recruitment Administrative Assistant
- Company Name:
- City of Kingston
- 216 Ontario Street
- Postal Code:
- K7L 2Z3
- Web Address: