Deadline Date: 2021/11/26
Location: Prince Edward Island
Island EMS is PEI''s only Ambulance service, and services all Islanders from West to East. IEMs has 7 bases across the Island, located in Alberton, O'Leary, Summerside, Charlottetown, Stratford, Montague, and Souris. Our Paramedics are held to a high standard of full-scope practice for Primary Care, Intermediate, and Advanced Care. We are committed to providing the highest level of pre-hospital care service to the province of Prince Edward Island.
- Posting Date:
- Prince Edward Island
- 229 Sherwood Rd.
- Start Date:
- Number of positions:
- Days of work:
Scope of Practice:
The Paramedic provides immediate treatment and transportation of sick and injured individuals to appropriate medical facilities. Due to the nature of operating in the public eye, a high level of professionalism, communication, and knowledge is expected at all times. The paramedic is required to conduct themselves in a safe and discreet manner, with the responsibility of conduct justification to patients, family members, hospitals staff, management, public agencies, legal court, and more. As an employee of IEMS, you are accountable to our patients, coworkers, and management by supporting all safety-related initiatives, as well as fostering a culture that focuses on patient safety and a safe workplace.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Determine the nature and extent of patient illness, injuries, or other preexisting medical conditions
- Perform appropriate medical care in accordance with guidelines set by the Island EMS and Provincial Medical Director through Island EMS Medical Oversight Protocol and Policies Manual. Please contact us for more information on our complete scope and protocol manual.
- Operate the ambulance with due regard for the safety of the general public within the confines of the motor vehicle act
- Utilizes IEMS issued ambulance and its equipment in accordance with all Safe Work Procedures and Operational Policies; maintain a response-ready vehicle at all times to avoid delays
- Elicit assistance from and lend assistance to other emergency services (Police, Fire, etc.) while realizing the limitations and boundaries of those individuals
- Take safety and training into consideration at all times throughout decision making
- Provide receiving hospital staff with oral and written reports of observations and patient care provided, as per IEMS Operational and Clinical Policy. Assist hospital staff if requested to provide emergency treatment(s)
- Complete all work-related documentation required by management within the required time frame
- Conduct cleaning or decontamination of vehicle interior and equipment, in accordance with Infection Control Manual Protocols
- Maintain ongoing cleanliness of vehicle, station, and premises during scheduled shifts
- Practice excellent hygiene measures and promote this aspect at all times while on shift
- Display the capability of decision-making and take initiative as needed
- Working knowledge of and proper use of available personal protective equipment.
- Replace used supplies and performs equipment and system checks as required by management
- Perform other such similar, comparable, or related duties as may be required or assigned
- Complete an EMS Board approved CMA accredited Paramedicine program (PCP, ICP, or ACP)
- Registration in the province of PEI as PCP, ICP, ACP, or equivalent
- Valid EMT License for practice in the Province of PEI
- Maintain licensing status through any mandated continuing medical education.
- Contact the Government of PEI for more information using this link: https://www.princeedwardisland.ca/en/service/emergency-medical-technician-emt-licence-application
Documentation Required for applying to Island EMS:
- Current Resume and Cover Letter
- Current CPR card
- Current ACLS (for ACPs)
- Copy of your Diploma
- Class 4 Driver''s License; must be fully graduated/unrestricted
- Driver''s abstract, issued within the last 90 days
- Valid Driver''s course certificate (CEVO) issued within the last 2 years
- Criminal Records check issued within the last 90 days
- Confirmation of Hep B vaccination
- Confirmation of COVID-19 vaccination status
Island EMS is a subsidiary company of Medavie Health Services. Medavie operates multiple ambulance services Canada-wide, primarily in the Maritimes. For more information on Medavie Health Services, please visit our website at https://medaviehs.com/.
- Closing Date/Apply by:
- How To Apply:
- Contact Kalie TODAY if you have questions about our job opportunities.
229 Sherwood Rd., Charlottetown PEI
Employer Contact Information
- Contact Name:
- Kalie MacKinnon
- Position Title:
- Human Resource Consultant
- Company Name:
- Medavie Health Services
- 229 Sherwood Rd.
- Prince Edward Island
- Postal Code:
- Web Address: