Deadline Date: 2021/12/16
Location: Red Lake
We are currently seeking to hire casual Primary Care Paramedics (PCPs) with our Northwest Emergency Medical Services (NWEMS) team who are willing to work at our various land ambulance bases located across the beautiful District of Kenora. Our employees enjoy a healthy work environment, the incredible outdoors, career development possibilities, and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others.
- Posting Date:
- Red Lake
- Various Locations
- Start Date:
- Number of positions:
- Days of work:
In collaboration with the Superintendents of Operations, the Primary Care Paramedics operate emergency vehicles and provide pre-hospital emergency medical care and transportation for ill and/or injured persons. All NWEMS Paramedics receive IV training and are provided monthly training opportunities to continuously improve their skills. KDSB NWEMS Paramedics work with new equipment and technology such as advanced airways, power load stretchers and automatic compression devices. As a casual employee, you are employed on a relief and/or replacement basis with no regular schedule, however, you will have the opportunity to work up to full-time hours and bid on temporary or permanent positions upon successful completion of KDSB NWEMS orientation.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Providing patient care in accordance with Basic & Advanced Life Support Standards and the current delegated medical acts
- Participating in mandatory training sessions as determined by the KDSB, Base Hospital, or Ministry of Health and Long-term Care (MOHLTC)
- Communicating through written documentation, verbal reports, radio communication and dialogue with patients, relatives, other employees, allied health workers, other emergency response personnel and the general public
- Complying with the requirements of current, relevant legislation, KDSB policies, Base Hospital directives, and any other related policies, directives and/or legislation
Successful candidates will:
- Be able to work shifts as scheduled including days, nights, weekends and on-call during which you are able to respond quickly and efficiently to emergency calls
- Utilize exceptional interpersonal skills, courtesy, tact, and compassion and work effectively in a demanding, challenging emergency medical services environment
- Be able to meet the physical demands necessary to perform patient extrication, lifting, carrying, positioning, and treatment
Qualifications will include:
- Certification as a Primary Care Paramedic as defined in the Ambulance Act (upcoming graduates are welcome to apply, additional documentation may be required at a later date)
- Certification as an Advanced Emergency Medical Care Assistant (AEMCA) issued by the MOHLTC (those pending writing the AEMCA exam are eligible to apply, additional documentation may be required at a later date)Working knowledge of the Ambulance Act, Basic & Advanced Life Support Patient Care Standards, and other MOHLTC regulations governing the provision of Ambulance Services.
- Valid CPR BLS Provider Level and a valid Ontario Class F Driver’s License (or equivalent)
- The ability to provide a current, satisfactory driver’s abstract and criminal background check including vulnerable sector screening, upon request
Located along the Trans-Canada Highway between the neighbouring centres of Winnipeg and Thunder Bay, the District of Kenora is comprised of several communities offering an experience in nature like no other. There are endless activities sure to appeal to any outdoor enthusiast ranging from fishing, boating, kayaking, snowshoeing, skiing, and golf, to name a few. Calling Northwestern Ontario home offers plenty of opportunity to experience new things both at work and after work.
Dedicated to improving lives, the Kenora District Services Board (KDSB) provides help and support when you need it. With forward thinking and engaged employees, we deliver Ontario Works, Social Housing, Early Learning and Child Care, and Land Ambulance to current and future clients.
- Closing Date/Apply by:
- How To Apply:
Interested applicants are invited to review the Recruitment Process Overview (found on our website) and submit their Employment Application for a Primary Care Paramedic online through the following link or by scanning the QR code, on or before December 14, 2021 at 12:00pm (noon) local time, referencing Competition #LA 21-03-E:
While all responses are appreciated, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Confidential information provided by applicants will be used for the purpose of this competition only and will be protected in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
The KDSB will make accommodations available wherever possible to applicants with disabilities upon request during the recruitment process. The KDSB is an equal opportunity employer.
Employer Contact Information
- Contact Name:
- Tiffany Coffey
- Position Title:
- Human Resources Coordinator
- Company Name:
- Kenora District Services Board
- 20 King Street
- Various Locations - District of Kenora
- Postal Code:
- P8N 1B3
- Web Address: