Deadline Date: 2021/04/14
Location: Thunder Bay
- Posting Date:
- Thunder Bay
- 285 MacDougall St Thunder Bay, P7A 2K6
- Start Date:
- $64,468.00 - $93,791.00 Per Year
- Number of positions:
- Days of work:
- What can I expect to do in this role?
As a Sergeant, you will:
• Provide leadership and guidance to staff, and manage all shift activities
• Oversee the administration and operations of an institution that functions on a 24 hours a day, 7 days a week environment
• Ensure effective and efficient delivery of institution security and correctional programs and services
• Assist in, develop, and review institutional standing orders and local operational policies and procedures
• Bring an innovative mindset to your work, enabling you to incorporate new tools, technology and practices to achieve results
• Support and communicate a values-based and inclusive organizational model
Leadership in the OPS
The Ontario Public Service (OPS) Leadership Behaviours defines what it means to be a leader through the following expected behaviours and attributes:
• You are committed to the responsibilities of being a leader by demonstrating authenticity, accountability and courage.
• You are innovative by embracing positive disruption, maintaining a future mindset and leading with a common purpose.
• You are collaborative by driving people-centered outcomes, being inclusive and helping staff and colleagues grow, every day.
Visit the Leadership Talent Office on Yammer to learn more about the OPS Leadership Model and to view the application preparation guide for management competitions.
- How do I qualify?
Leadership and Managerial Skills
• You have proven leadership skills to provide direction, coaching and mentoring to staff, and make sound operational decisions
• You have knowledge of human resources and labour relations practices to address employee issues, support performance and development, and promote an inclusive and engaged team
• You can plan and administer program operations and develop work plans to meet program objectives
• You act with integrity even when it is difficult to do so
• You can interpret and apply related legislation to ensure compliance (i.e. Ontario Human Rights Code, Ministry of Correctional Services Act, Public Service of Ontario Act, etc.), and work with staff to ensure their clear understanding and correct application of new policies
Technical Knowledge and Crisis Management Expertise
• You have knowledge of correctional theory and practices related to admission and discharge procedures, care, custody, control and transportation of inmates
• You have an understanding of offender behaviour and population moods in order to direct staff and determine appropriate interventions
• You have knowledge of the crisis management model, particularly the ‘use of force' policy, and the ability to effectively contain or act on emergency and challenging situations, determining best approaches to resolving recurring incidents
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
• You can communicate and interact effectively with staff, management, inmates, and the general public
• You are a collaborative communicator, providing clear direction and guidance to staff, exercising sound decision making skills to resolve contentious and time sensitive matters, and communicating confidently in difficult or stressful situations
• You have written communication skills to articulate issues and information in formal reports
Diversity, Inclusion, Accessibility and Anti-Racism
The OPS is an innovative, responsive and accountable public service that works hard to be diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, merit-based, and equitable. Diversifying leadership is a top priority for the OPS. Our goal is to achieve parity with the Ontario labour force by 2025 for the most under-represented groups (Indigenous, racialized and persons with disabilities) on our leadership teams.
The OPS is an accessible employer and we offer accommodation in all aspects of employment, including the recruitment process. Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advancing racial equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Closing Date/Apply by:
- How To Apply:
- How to apply:
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee's exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.Remember: The deadline to apply is Wednesday, April 14, 2021 11:59 pm EDT. Late applications will not be accepted.
- You must apply online.
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources.
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
- OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
- If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code .
Employer Contact Information
- Contact Name:
- Hayley McParland
- Position Title:
- Talent Assistant
- Company Name:
- Ontario Public Service
- 67 Thornton Road
- Postal Code:
- l1E 2v6
- Web Address: