Deadline Date: 2022/02/28
Location: Thunder Bay
Under the general supervision of the Supervisor – Forestry & Horticulture, the Urban Forestry Summer Student is responsible for assisting with tasks related to the Urban Forest Management Plan.
- Posting Date:
- Thunder Bay
- 125 Syndicate Ave South Suite 42 McKellar Mall
- Start Date:
- Number of positions:
- Days of work:
- Will assist the City Urban Forestry staff in the collection of data using GPS/GIS applications for newly and previously planted tree locations.
- Will provide support for tree planting operations
- Will participate with ash tree injections using approved pesticides to control EAB in selected trees across the City.
- Will participate in data collection for City tree inventory and other such duties as assigned.
- Will assist in monitoring tree plant activities, home owner site visits and minor maintenance of the Urban Forest.
- Will assist in obtaining locates for underground utilities.
- Will participate in community planting initiatives and act as a source of information to the public regarding the importance of the Urban Forest and other programs that are offered by the City in regards to the Urban Forest and other general inquiries.
- Must be a student enrolled in a natural resources program at a college or university.
- Must be able to read, write & understand English
- Must be highly motivated, work well in a team environment
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision
- Must be proficient in the use of computers and current related software (Word and Excel)
- Must be able to deal with the public in a courteous and tactful manner
- Must be able to communicate effectively with other Civic Departments and suppliers
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class "G" Ontario Drivers Licence, or equivalent
- Must meet the definition of a competent driver as defined by the Corporation
- Must be physically fit to perform field duties that involve lifting, standing/walking on a constant basis, squatting/kneeling on a frequent basis
- A valid Ontario Exterminators License, Landscape Module
Conditions of Employment:
- Will be required to travel to various work locations and provide own transportation
- Must remain a competent driver as defined by the Corporation
- May be required to provide a successful driver’s record (uncertified)
- Closing Date/Apply by:
- How To Apply:
Please apply at www.thunderbay.ca under INF-S16-22
Employer Contact Information
- Contact Name:
- Carly Toppozini
- Position Title:
- Classification Analyst
- Company Name:
- Thunder Bay, City of
- 125 Syndicate Ave South â€“ Suite 42 McKellar Mall
- Thunder Bay
- Postal Code:
- P7E 6H8
- Web Address: